*

*
*

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

WINDSTORM

"Birds sing after a storm; why shouldn't people feel as free to delight in whatever sunlight remains to them?"
~Rose Kennedy ~

I was in a windstorm today- a mini-tornado whirlwind really that turned the air around my friend and I completely brown, whipped sand at our bodies like stinging knives, and tore the roof off a building a mere 50 feet or so away from us. It was terrifying and almost thrilling on some level in a dark way. All we could do was brace ourselves against it. Time slowed down, and it seemed as if the world as we knew it was about to end, that we were going to be swept up into a funnel of furious air and whipping sand. I heard her say my name, but couldn't see her.
     And then it cleared enough for us to run to safety, and as we peeled leaves and sand out of our ears and eyes, we talked about it, over and over, and eventually laughed. Going through something like that opens something up in us- the fragility of life, the power of nature, how tentative our certainties really are- and going through it with a friend makes it almost fun.

I am grateful to share life experiences of all kinds with people that I care about.