*

*
*

Thursday, January 26, 2012

THE GLORY OF OUR BONES

     I have been frustrated with my elbows lately. The protruding bones seem to catch and bump on everything, and I have, more than once, considered them rather poorly designed. And yet, they bend and straighten my arms! They allow for hugs and planks and dancing and writing and lifting things. How limited my range of motion and activity would be without them. My elbows are no less than miracles of design and engineering, and my ankles and knees and hips and wrists and fingers are no less: all of my moving parts are no less!
     Let's celebrate the wonder of our joints and stop sending them frustrated, negative thoughts. Perhaps they ache a bit... but do they function? Do they move us? Let's find our gratitude. Let's be grateful for our rotators and hinges, for the hardware of our bones, and for our muscles and tendons that move them. We are flippant with our bodies. We take them for granted. We abuse them with our choices and then gripe when they react. Let's not gripe today. Let's take a moment and appreciate them just the way they are. Our bodies are fantastic and miraculous in every way!

I catch myself feeling irritated with my body and make the decision to change my thoughts. I express my appreciation instead. I appreciate the miracle of all of my moving parts.