*

*
*

Monday, July 31, 2017

SELF-IMPOSED PRESSURE

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important." 
~ Bertrand Russell ~

We create urgencies in our heads. We create tension in our bodies. Things are not going as smoothly or as quickly as we want them to, or others are not reacting as we feel they should. We try to manufacture reality as it pleases us, but with little success.
     One of my least favorite expressions from many years ago is that time takes time. I like it better now- and understand the wisdom in it... and yet, there are still days where I want to exert my will and demand things of the hours I have. But no amount of exertion will do the trick. Time really does take time, and each thing fills the space it fills and requires the care it requires, and no amount of rushing or insistence changes that.
     Settling in for the duration, committing to enjoy the process, taking breaks when necessary to refresh our perspectives- all of these help. And so does self-care, and so does a good night's sleep.

I accept the process of developing ideas and budding creativity and know that they cannot be forced.