*

*
*

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

BEACONS

     I like the idea of "beacons of hope," and I believe such beacons spot our world. To me, they are country church steeples and shiny barn roofs in stretching afternoon light, little soft serve ice cream stands covered in Christmas lights, and groups of people laughing together free from self-consciousness; an old couple holding hands, bubbling brooks, and the first fresh fall air after summer humidity; traffic as it loosens and flows again after being jammed up, the smell of barbecues and woodsmoke, hot bread with soft butter, and a good long hug from someone I love.
     These things and others like them are beacons to me because they remind me of life's soft curves; that it is not all hard work and the achievement of goals. they are symbols of pleasure, relaxation, contemplation, and love. Seeing them evokes vacation mode in me, the recollection of spiritual satisfaction, and sensory delight.
     Maybe life is designed the way it is so that any time we stop being so busy that we cannot see anything, and actually take a look around, there are reminders... everywhere... of small pleasures and the very real satisfaction they have to offer us.

I look around today and identify the beacons of hope in the landscape of my travelings.