*

*
*

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

ENOUGH TO GO AROUND

     Sometimes when we meet people we allow ourselves to be impressed with them in a way that blows reality all out of proportion. We make assumptions based on our own insecurities, that they are somehow better than we are, or more worthy of love and attention; that there mere presence in our lives makes us smaller and less important. We compare ourselves to them and feel inferior. They seem so smart, or funny, or pretty, or handsome or likable, so talented. Next to them, we are nothing but a mess.
     But often, these first impressions do not play out. In further experience and interactions we begin to see that we may have overblown things, that we were mistaken in some way, that they are not so great as we thought, and maybe we are not so terrible.
     I'd like to not compare myself to others in the first place, and to know that if someone is good at something I'm good at, his being good doesn't somehow make me less good. It makes us both good in our own unique ways. I want to celebrate everyone's gifts and life contributions and not feel threatened. I want to know that I am just right as I am, and that there is enough love, enough appreciation, enough respect, and enough recognition to go around. The more there is the more there is. I am tired of believing in limited supplies.

I trust in the abundant universe and that there is enough of everything necessary and delightful to go around.