*

*
*

Monday, April 30, 2012

BLESSINGS THROUGH PAIN

     My gratitude today is for the pain in my past. I do not regret any of it. All of the excruciating difficulties and seemingly insurmountable challenges have been faced and surmounted. I have learned from each of them. And the truth is that, more than my joy, the pain I have experienced has been the thing that has guided me on my way .
     In an effort to learn about and correct the aches and pains in my body, I became a massage therapist and a personal trainer, and in an effort to heal my emotional wounds, I became a seeker of truth. Through my pain, I have discovered improved health, and I am able to share my experience with others. I am able to help them to ease their pain. What blessing in this!
     I am really, more than anything, a perpetual student of pain and discomfort. I study it in myself and in my clients, and it teaches me. It is the best teacher I know. We try things to feel better. We stretch and strengthen. We get quiet. We laugh, and we cry. And we make plenty of mistakes. Some things work and some do not. It is a constant journey of progress and refinement and following the pain.
     And my experience has taught me that we can get better. But we have to be willing to work at it, and change our habits, and keep our hearts open to hope. In the end, it seems to me, our pain comes not to punish us, but to teach us and guide us, and to point us toward the better way.

Pain has been my greatest teacher. It has led me to where I am, and I am grateful to be here.