*

*
*

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

THE NATURAL ORDER OF THINGS

     Some days my energy is buzzing with lively happiness and all possibility, and some days it is flat and everything seems an extreme effort. I make the mistake of thinking that the high energy can be recalled at will, but it cannot. So I need to enjoy it while it lasts, knowing that it will change. And truthfully, I can find a way to enjoy the low energy too. It's different, but not without it's own kind of appeal.
     Windows of opportunity seem to open in the same way. There is a fresh breeze that comes in with the promise of something hopeful; something unexpected and exciting that seems suddenly doable. But I have to act, and continue to act each day in small steps if I want to grow the excitement and keep the window open. Otherwise, like the energy that drops without warning, the window slams down. And what was visible, what I wanted and was jazzed up to do, is out of sight again. And I can no more recall it than I can make myself energized when I am in need of rest.
     Everything is cyclical, and rhythmic. I have to learn to ride the cycles and be in touch with the natural order of things- the rising and falling of the sun, the wind, the moon, the heat; energy, hunger, internal peace and restlessness, eagerness, and exhaustion. It's all part of it, and all has its place. There is beauty in the waxing and the waning of my vision and the pursuit of my dreams, but whether I am bursting with new ideas or listless and dull, I am nonetheless growing, and developing, and maturing. I am ever learning how to ride the tides and experience the rising and dips of life, with courage, and good humor, and trust in the passage.

I observe and appreciate the cycles of my enthusiasm. I experience it rise and fall like the tides. I am a part of the natural order of things.