*

*
*

Monday, May 21, 2012

PREPARING THE HEART

     Surprise visits, and surprise parties, are over-rated in my opinion. There is something startling about them, and jarring almost. We don't have the time or opportunity to prepare our hearts. Anticipation is a wonderful thing. To know that there is going to be a party in our honor, and that people we love will be there, is spirit-food for weeks leading up to the event. Surprise in the details is one thing- unexpected guests from afar, live music, or the specific nature of the decorations, the flowers, the venue, etc... but to drop the whole thing on us unsuspecting is shocking, actually, and not always as much fun as it might initially seem. It's almost a burden. Something is suddenly expected of us and we are completely unprepared for it. I like to be prepared as much as possible.
     And I like to be able to look forward to things. Maybe it has something to do with my childhood. I feel more comfortable and grounded knowing generally what's going to be happening. If plans change, I can adapt, and alter my momentum- not always gracefully, but I can do it. But I don't want to be left completely in the dark. Surprise me, and my body goes straight to fight or flight mode. I am tense and suddenly edgy: struck like a deer in the headlights. Where is the fun in that?

Save the surprises. There is a certain comfort in the anticipation of events. It gives me time to prepare my heart.