*

*
*

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

SOCIAL BALANCE

"I am vast. I contain multitudes."
~Walt Whitman~
 
I am playful when I am with people and thoughtful and intellectual when I am alone, and both sides serve me perfectly. I need time to be quiet and contemplative and studious and literary because I love that side of life. It's a big part of who I am. It feeds my soul and my passion for learning.
     But people fill my need for love and laughter and that side is no more or less important. It is invigorating and fun to share stories and experiences and to be silly and part of the crowd... even if it's a crowd of only two. We need our solitude and we need to be in the company of others. Lacking either, we miss the balance and pleasure of our lives.
 
 I equally need people and time alone. I enjoy them both and cannot be healthy without one or the other.