*

*
*

Thursday, August 25, 2011

CHANGING LIGHT

     I am happily aware of the changing seasonal light and the morning chill of coming fall. As a child, I was impatient with the heat and humidity of summer. Being too hot made me mad. But I have come to love the warmth of summer mornings and evenings, and the overpowering heat of noontime. I have come to understand how quickly the summer passes. It is here and gone like a flash. I appreciate it now in a way I couldn't when I was younger and so easily grouchy with all of the things beyond my control that didn't suit me just right. So these days, I feel a loss and sadness for the summer passing away yet again.
     But I have always loved the fall, and it brings its own kind of blessing. It feels like renewal to me, and absolute freshness. It is crisp and breezy and full of delicious smells and beautiful colors. It fills me with hope and possibility, maybe even moreso than the spring. The spring feels full of purpose, and work in the garden, and lawn cutting. The spring is all about gearing up. But the fall is easy and gentle and settling in. It's slowing down and the restoration of routine. So I welcome it gladly. I enjoy the changing slant of the sun and elongated shadows.
     But it's not here yet, not fully. Fall is coming, but it's not quite come, and the summer ending, but not quite ended. I want to enjoy this transitional time. I want to enjoy the summer that remains and the touches of stretching fall light that signify what's to come.

I accept where I am today. I am constantly in flux like the sun and the seasons, and enjoy the beauty and rhythm of the ever changing light.