*

*
*

Friday, August 5, 2011

TRUSTING THE BODY

     I've observed that many people seem to experience fear around the functioning of their bodies. Fear is fixating. It locks us into a position of inflexibility and negative expectation. We become sure of the worst that could happen, and we become over dramatic. There is a sense that our physicality will somehow turn against us, that it cannot support activity at all, or any kind of raised intensity; that it will kill us or cause us pain, that it is safer and happier sedentary and still, and that healing comes through lack of use.
     In almost all cases, I disagree. I believe in therapeutic movement. I believe in the right kind of movement for each body, each imbalance, each structural deficiency, and each injury. I have fears surrounding economic insecurity, the happiness of my children, and the active and potential behaviors of other people, but the body is one thing I do trust. I trust it knows just what it needs, and speaks to us if we will only listen. I believe it has an innate ability and drive to heal itself, and that it will continue on vibrantly for a long time in spite of our neglecting and abusing it, but that ultimately it cannot thrive without care and appreciation. And that includes the way we think about it, and our level of trust in its strength and stamina.
     Constantly molly-coddling our daily physical conditions and over-blowing them makes for a body much like an overprotected child. Let's allow our bodies to romp and be playful and find their movement. Let's not limit them with the fear in our minds, else they will be small and wilted and lack courage. They will be ever-unsure and have no knowledge of their very real potential. Let's trust our bodies and work with them to achieve great vitality and great energy and strength beyond our wildest dreams.

I treat my body with appreciation and respect. I trust it to be capable and strong and self-healing, and to let me know what it wants and needs. I pay attention to what it has to tell me. I let it move and stretch and express itself.