*

*
*

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

THE EFFECT OF OUR ENERGY

     I'm not sure how aware we are that our energy affects other people. If we are stressed out, on edge, rigid with pressure and have to's, we spread tension. Likewise, if we are spacious and relaxed, easy to laugh,  serene, secure, and at ease, we give others permission to loosen a bit in our presence. Sadly, I think it's easier to get ramped up by someone's grim determinism than it is to let go of our stuff when we see someone else relaxed, especially if we have a tendency toward tension ourselves. We may even mock and criticize someone who seems to feel no pressure, or get irritated... look at her! Who does she think she is? Doesn't she know there's a crises here and it's no time for fun?
     I want to bring ever higher awareness to the energy I send out, and to be a source of pleasantry rather than angst. If I am not feeling it; if I am hungry, angry, tired, or sore, then perhaps just by acknowledging that to whoever is sharing my space, I can minimize my negative impact. I can send out a warning flag of information. "I feel grouchy. I need to eat something. I had a tough day at work and need to decompress. I need some time alone. I'm not sure why I'm so touchy, but I recognize that I'm being short with you. Maybe it would be better if we did this later." The alternative is to unconsciously bark and sigh and complain and abuse, putting all of our stuff onto others, maybe even allowing ourselves to believe that they are the ones responsible for our ill behavior, that our foulness is their fault.
     Today I will recognize the impact of my moods and my energy. I will be honest about the fact that the way I am affects everything and everyone around me. If I snap or am darkly moody or rigidly push others with my intensity, I will make every effort to catch myself and change my approach. I have a role in how I feel and the space I occupy. I want to spread joy!

I am willing to be cheerful and pleasant today. I am willing to be a source of happiness and peace.