*

*
*

Friday, June 24, 2011

WHY WORRY?

     A worried state of mind gets us nothing worth having. It gives us grey hair and wrinkles and a living sense of fear. Why do we worry? It seems almost like a form of preparation. We prepare for disappointment and disaster. We brace ourselves for certain horrors and try to prevent them in advance. We make our plans and then we fret over all of the unlikely possibilities.
     But things often turn out better than we think they will. And even if events do go south, they rarely mess up in the way we expect or have planned for. What if, like a child waiting for a surprise from a loving parent, we expect good things in our future, instead of trials and stressors and punishment? What if we trust that no matter what happens, it will somehow end up blessing us, and what if, no matter how chaotic or disastrous a situation appears, we know that it comes to teach us something that will ultimately result in our happiness, or our ability to better cope with life? Isn't that what always happens anyway, hindsight being twenty/twenty and all that? So why do we worry? It's a demonstrable expression of our lack of faith.
     Today, I challenge myself not to project in any way, to have faith that the future will be exactly what it's supposed to be. I know that some things will go better than hoped for, and some things may seem worse, or turn out differently than planned. But today, I choose to free myself from worry. I'm going to trust that all is happening just the way it should, and that I will be taken care of no matter what.

Worrying is not worth my time or effort. I trust the future and let go of my fear.