*

*
*

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

THE MEASURE OF SUCCESS

     What is the measure of success in the life of a man or a woman? Does it have to do with the size of my house or the salary of my job? Am I successful if I have a certain level of education, and even more successful if I have an even higher level? Is someone with a PHD more successful than someone with a Bachelor of Arts, and someone with a BA more successful than a high-school drop-out? If I have more things, does that make me more successful? What about if I have more friends? What if I am super creative? What if I'm smart? Pretty? Handsome? Envied by others for my money or talents? Do those things make me successful? I guess it depends in part on who you are asking. Success can certainly be relative.
     To me, a successful man or woman is one who has achieved a certain level of self-acceptance, and a certain level of life acceptance; one who is peaceful inside, and kind; loving, forgiving, and compassionate. A successful man or woman can be counted on, is self-reflective and willing to change, able to see more than one side of things, open minded, and open hearted. Human success is about spiritual enlightenment, seems to me, and not the accumulation of physical things. In my estimation, an angry and bitter individual is not successful no matter how much money he has. And likewise, a man with peace in his heart is successful no matter how much money he has. We can be successful with or without money, with or without a big job, with or without high levels of education, but we cannot be successful without love in our hearts and kindness and integrity in our souls.

In so far as I express love and kindness in my life, I am a success.