*

*
*

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

HAKUNA MATATA

     We all worry and fret over things just around the corner. We are full of what ifs and wonderings. And then we turn the corner with rising trepidation, we pass the thing we fear, and promptly drop it from our thoughts; nothing to worry about once it's over. We look forward to the next corner and fret anew.
     But what if we didn't? What if we refused to get all twisted up and stopped trying to figure it all out and guarantee perfect outcomes? What if we trusted the path we are on so much that we decided not to worry, that we trusted that everything would be exactly right and exactly as it should be? What if we remembered that God is always in the mix and our personal path is less about making it happen than it is about letting it happen, and enjoying it happening however it turns out?
     For me, there is great relief in that, and I am getting better at it. I have learned from experience that things have a way of coming together, discombobulated as they may seem. There's a place for all of the loose ends to belong. And the things that don't work out perfectly add to the enjoyment and experience. Often they are the things we remember most fondly.
     So today, if I have something I'm worried about and I want to make it turn out a certain way, I will recognize that I am caught up, like being on a hook, and let go. I will disentangle. I will free myself. I will turn to what is right in front of me and remember that it's the surprises in life that make it life, and make it interesting, and make it fun. And I will trust the future and trust the surprises and tust the journey of my happenings.

I stop worrying about what may or may not happen tomorrow and enjoy today. I let tomorrow take care of itself.