*

*
*

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

TRAVELING HAPPY

     Today my gratitude is for my car. It travels me safely all over the earth and doubles as a complete and secure home away from home. I can park it in scenic spots and work on my computer, or recline the seat for a nap. It has perfect and necessary cubbies and containers for holding chapstick and hand lotion and coins for the tolls and my phone. I have a commercial free radio which I can blast or listen to quietly. I can stay informed by listening to the news, or go country or classic rock or acoustic. I can sing, move gently to the music, or completely boogie down in my seat. I can talk on the phone, say my prayers out loud, or sit in absolute silence with the road passing with it's steady whirrr beneath the circling tires. There's usually no one in my car but me. It's my private and personal space.
     I eat breakfast and lunch while cruising down route 66 back and forth to the Shenandoah Valley. I see the sunrise and the changing expanse of the sky and the views. I travel daily from the mountains to highrises and back again to the mountains. I see animals and changing foliage and so many different aspects of life. I open the windows and let the summer wind buffet me, or close them and cruise in humming quietude.
     Our vehicles are such miraculous things that we mostly take for granted. What an incredible luxury that we can hop in our cars, turn a key, and go anywhere. Our cars mean freedom and adventure and distance and reliability. The ones we choose and the way we keep them reflect our personalities. Our cars are so much more than rubber and steel. They deserve our appreciation. Without them our lives would be smaller, and limited, more pinched, and less full of beautiful American vistas.

I express my gratitude for my car today, and recognize the incredible freedom it gives me. Maybe I wash the windshield, or vacuum it out, neaten the catch-all compartments, give it an all over bath, or fill it up with gas. I do something to say thanks.