*

*
*

Friday, June 17, 2011

SAYING NO

     No is a powerful and important word and most of us don't use it near enough. We grow up thinking we are supposed to be everything to everbody all of the time, even when we're exhausted and torn up from life, maybe even especially then. And if someone asks us to do something and we actually can't do it because of an impossible-to-correct conflict, we apologize and possibly feel guilty. "I'm so sorry!" we exclaim. We fall all over ourselves.
     But we are not meant to be doormats or lackeys. We are not meant to spend volumes of time pleasing other people and doing their bidding. We are not meant to consistently do more than our share. That's as distorted as doing nothing, or doing consistently too little. The thing is to say yes when we mean yes, but not to say yes when we really want to say no. Each of us is a limited resource and we must learn to protect and preserve ourselves. Otherwise, we burn out and become endangered, sick, and no good to anyone including ourselves.
     Choice is our gift and our blessing. We must learn what to say yes to and what to say no to in our lives. Today, I say no to toxic people and energy vampires. I say no to excessive portions of food, sloth, whining, judgment, and anger. I say no to yelling and cursing and resentments and fear. I say no to unreasonable demands on my time and I say no to guilt. I say yes to self care and genuine generosity and the experience of the present moment. I say yes to high integrity and hard work. I say yes to love; I always say yes to love! And I say yes to vegetables and communication and early to bed. I say yes to smiles and the weather and maybe more than anything else today, I say yes to my option to say no.

Without guilt or feelings of obligation, I say yes when I mean yes, and no when I mean no. I am grateful for my ability to speak up for myself.