*

*
*

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

LIFE RAINING DOWN

     I like the rain. It's feels indulgent and fertile to me. It grows things. And it gives balance to sunshine and long strings of beautuful days. It's ok to be inside on a rainy day, reading or watching movies or taking a nap. Rain on the roof and windows creates a cozy inner space. It's an invitation to retreat.
     Maybe I can think about challenging life circumstances the way I think about the rain, as dropping and falling on me, soaking into the roots of me with promise of new growth. The truth is that what has evolved me most in my life are the events that appear on the surface to be brutal; the hardships and failures, the sufferings and wounding; not the sunshine of my life, but the storms and the driving rain.
     Everything has it's purpose, and I believe nature reflects my spirit. I pause and linger in the sunshine. I smile and enjoy the warmth and stillness. But in the wind and the weather that pushes against me I learn my strength. I understand my need for protection and step away from that which would harm me. If only it were as obvious to me to avoid toxic people and dangerous situations the way I avoid lightning and gale force winds.

The challenges of life are fertilizer for evolving wisdom.